Monday, December 8, 2008

LeMoyne receives $50 million endowment

For my final project, I took the route of doing a traditional news story, albeit it was a bit outdated by the time I presented it in class on Friday, December 5. My story focused on what LeMoyne College is doing with the $50 million it received just before Thanksgiving in the form of an endowment. I stumbled upon this story just before leaving for Thanksgiving, but I was unable to set an interview up until after the break, but I covered it from the angle of what the school specifically wants to do with the money (or what it is limited to in the terms of the endowment), and what this means for the school going forward.

It is reportedly one of the largest monetary grants to a Jesuit college in history, and was donated by the late Robert and Catherine McDevitt of Binghamton, NY. Joe Della Posta, the communications director, provided me with all the information I needed to know about the gift and about what the school is doing about it. I talked to him and several students, only one of whom I used for the final cut, Colleen Pinckney. You can click below to view the story.

No comments: