Monday, December 8, 2008

Local High School Uses The Community For Class

From December 4th, 2008

My final project happened by accident. While heading downtown to cover a completely different story which never took shape, I passed Clinton Square. Not only did I see the huge Christmas Tree lit up on an overcast day, there were a group of about 40 teenagers skating on the ice rink that sits next to the tree.

When I went inside, I found out that while this group was leaving, another group of students would be coming later that day. I figured maybe it would be a local elementary school on a field trip, but when I came back at 2:15, I learned differently.

East Syracuse-Minoa High School brought a physical education class to the ice rink. The high school as two sections of the class that uses resources throughout the community for physical activity as an alternative to staying at the school. This quarter is ice skating, but throughout the course of the year, the school goes hiking, bowling, golfing, canoeing and hiking for their eighty-minute class period.

If you look below you'll see that the students enjoyed their time in downtown Syracuse.


No comments: